Airports are joining the holidays cheer with their very own festive airport holiday celebrations. We’ve rolled up some of the best airport holiday celebrations reported by Skift and Financial Express for you to experience as part of your holiday journey. Who said you can’t start the party at the airport?
- LHR offers an airport holiday celebration worth of the name in its operating budget – “surprise and delight.” There will be characters in costume, Santa with lollipops in holiday shapes and flavors, and a fake Christmas tree that lights up interactively, whenever someone tweets #T2Christmas. We had to try!
- YVR (Vancouver) offers an airport holiday celebration in the form of singing entertainers and free gift wrapping (post check-in). This year you’ll hear music from the Vancouver Opera, Jennifer Scott Duo, Steinway Young Artists Programme, St Andrews School Choir and Clare Brett’s Mrs Claus Musical Christmas Show.
- HKG (Hong Kong) installed a 52-foot Swarovski Christmas tree in Terminal 1, and yule-tide carols sung by flash mobs of a cappella students. There are also costumed characters for the kiddos from ‘A Beary White Christmas’. Take a selfie and use the hashtag #HKIAxmas to win daily prizes. You will also be dazzled with flash mobs and singing while you’re waiting at the gate. At baggage claim, check our Candy Crush art pieces, magicians, and a light show throughout departures.
- MUC (Munich) has set up a large winter market between its two terminals to get in the airport holiday spirit. There will also be live entertainment on the Airport’s dedicated ice-rink. Finally, if you’re a movie buff, popular films will be shown in an open air theater…and you can slide down a 50 metre long ice slide (seriously!)
- FRA (Frankfurt) gives you a glimpse of a traidtional European Christmas. Munich’s airport holiday festivities include live music with the singing angels of ‘Engelsgleich’ and marketplaces distributing treats. Don’t forget to enter the instant-win Christmas lotteries, redeemed through social media channel!
- SIN (Changi) has ongoing performances and international winter displays. You will experience stiltwalkers, puppets, magic shows, jumping castles, storytelling and decorations. For the international winter displays, be sure to visit –
- T3 transit area: a German-inspired centrepiece and displays of snowy Swiss chalets.
- T2 transit area: traditional Japanese cottages.
- T1 transit area: Broadway-styled New York City.
- T2 public area: Spanish costumes with huge Mickey and Minnie Mouse topiaries.
- Take a photo with Mickey or Minnie Mouse plush toys and tage is #CHANGIXMAS14 on Instagram to win them!
- AMS (Amsterdam) is showing its airport holiday cheers with music from carolers, Santa distributing gifts, and a walking Christmas tree. Be entertained for free by the Draagbaar Radio Orkest (Portable Radio Orchestra), the Jukebox Boys, and Roept u maar! (Just ask us!), an acoustical trio.
- MEL (Melbourne) is celebrating the airport holiday season with decorations and digital holiday artwork in the departures area. There will be a Santa appearance, along with juggling, magic elves. Visit the Duty Free shop to listen to some holiday rock and roll.
These are some of the best airport holiday celebration we could find in 2014. Let us know if we’ve missed any in the comments, and shoot us your best festive #layovertip on Twitter. And of course, have yourself and merry little airport holiday 🙂