We are delighted to see the patriotic spirit lives on as airlines and airports celebrating Independence Day 2016 continue with gusto. If you flew through the following airports, you might have noticed a celebration or two. At least you might have seen some patriotic signage. Although we’ve noticed airports celebrating Independence Day 2016 were markedly less than last year – hip hip hooray for the ones that got in the spirit this past weekend. Here’s a list of airports that had special celebrations. And, a special shout out to Harriet Baskas for rolling up a few of these.
Airports Celebrating Independence Day 2016
- IAD and DCA (Washington, DC). Dulles International Airport and Reagan National Airport will both included in the list of airports celebrating Independence Day 2016. Uncle Sam on stilts made an appearance Jul 1 through Jul 4. During this time-frame, the airports also offered a festive and interactive photo booth to boot. To go with the photo, you got a #4thofJuly frame, and digital props that were all over-the-top patriotically themed. Of course this could be shared via social media as well.
- ORD and MDW (Chicago, IL). In both Chicago airports, 4th of July festivities were planned under the auspices of the Air Carnival. While not really patriotically themed, the activities were still unilaterally enjoyable. Celebrations featured face painting, balloon sculpting, and stilt-walkers throughout the terminals on Jul 1. Side note: I guess this stilt-walkers is now a thing (I witnessed them personally at the Cherry Creek Arts Festival). There were also some notable guest appearances by the “Frozen” cast – Anna, Elsa and Olaf. Because, you know, you have to stay cool in the summertime! Live entertainment was also offered in the baggage claim area. And, complimentary lemonade was also reported to have made an appearances.
- TIW (Gig Harbor, WA). Tiny Tacoma Narrows Airport in Washington State came out big this weekend and put itself on the map of airport celebrating Independence Day 2016. Although arguably more for the community than for travelers passing through, TIW partied hearty in Stars and Stripes. Under the guise of the 6th annual Gig Harbor Wings & Wheels on July 3, attendees were offered a smorgasbord of patriotic events. Spectators watched airplane fly-bys and met pilots. They even could purchase a spot on a flight of the Douglas DC-3 or biplane. Other highlights included a car and hot rod show, and Smoke-N-Thunder jet cars racing down the runway at 300 mph. The event featured food and arts & crafts vendors, a beer garden, and a kids’ fun zone.
Other Jul 4th 2016 Celebrations
- Airports on social media. Many larger airports celebrating Independence Day 2016 did not put on a formal event. However, they still wished the country well on social media. Some of the themes on the Twitter were around thank-yous to Veterans and general messages around American pride and keeping the country safe.
- Airlines. There was nothing truly notable in the airline world for #paxex or 4th of July related festivities this year. There was, however, the underlying theme of saving you money and spreading happiness. Nearly all carriers slashed prices for 4th of July airfare sales (we found fares as low as $29 on Frontier Airlines). Here’s the terms from Southwest’s Stars and Stripes discount – book by Jul 7 for savings through the fall.
Flew through airport(s) that were celebrating Independence Day 2016? If your airport didn’t make our list, let us know and we will add it to this blog. Keep calm and firework on.