Did you have an Aviation Valentine’s Day? These airports and airlines did.
Here’s a roll-up of airports and airlines that got in the romantic spirit and participated in Valentine’s Day celebrations in 2016.
Airports giving an Aviation Valentine’s Day pick-me-up
- AUS – Austin’s Bergstrom International Airport (covered in the tripchi airport app) gave travelers a photo opp with a new installation of airport art that replicates an Austin city mural favorite, located in the baggage claim area. Free chocolates and a social media contest accompanied Austin’s clever offering. Additionally, one of the vendors we cover in our airport app, Amy’s Ice Cream near Gate 12, sold chocolate covered strawberries to mark this aviation Valentine’s occasion.
- JAX – Jacksonville International Airport surprising a thousand passengers with red carnations for an Aviation Valentine’s special treat.
- PHL – Trend alert! Philadelphia International handed out flowers also, but on Feb 12.
- MIA – Yes, you guess it. At least one airport was bound to have a kissing booth. Miami International Airport also put together a heart-shaped balloon mobile as well as some live music performances.
- ATL – Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport put together a gorgeous 8-foot heart, made out of flowers (think Rose Parade!). You can take a selfie with it, as you enjoy munching on some free candy.
- LAX – While never the best airport to layover in, at least Los Angeles International Airport got in the fun for Aviation Valentine’s Day. On Feb 15, the Bradley International Terminal (Terminal 6) put on a performance of the Argentine Tango. Remember, LAX is now available in the tripchi airport app!
Airlines giving an Aviation Valentine’s
- Delta Airlines – for those lucky passengers flying economy (or flying as a Delta One member) from JFK, SFO, or LAX, Delta gave out small bottles of Veuve du Vernay Rosé sparkling wine for Aviation Valentine’s Day. And, as a more family-friendly treat, passengers were also given a pack of yummy Baked by Melissa cupcakes. All Delta One customers will also get a glass of Veuve du Vernay Brut Rosé sparkling wine. Thanks to Harriet Baskas for tipping us off on this one, as well as several others included in this collection.
- JetBlue – This airline also got in to the Aviation Valentine’s spirit by adding a few new tasty treats to its already scrumptious in-flight offering. As far as giveaways went, JetBlue also partnered with Dunkin’ Donuts to hand out hearth-shaped donuts in the morning on Feb 13/14 at JFK and BOS. In case you’re wondering, the donut flavors were a Brownie Batter Donut (filled with chocolatey brownie batter flavored buttercreme filling, topped with chocolate icing and heart sprinkles) and the Cookie Dough Donut (cookie dough flavored buttercreme filling, topped with chocolate icing and chocolate chips). Dunkin’ also ran a social media promotion and an opportunity to send sweet tweets to sweethearts. The prizes for both programs included the chance to win round-trip travel certificates for two on JetBlue. Now that’s a sweet Aviation Valentine’s!
- Southwest Airlines – tripchi insiders know that Southwest gives passengers free boozy beverages, and this Aviation Valentine’s Day was one of them. Southwest also gave out sweepstakes entres (on select routes) for a trip to the American Country Music awards.
- United Airlines – United handed out free Eli’s Belgian chocolate cheesecake tarts on many routes departing from the continental US. Our beloved regional United Express flights did not forget us either, offering red-velvet snackable cookies (seriously, why is red velvet a thing – it has no extra flavor and just red food dye!).
- American Airlines – And just another aviation tidbit for you. Did you know that Miami is the flower capital of the world, and that American Airlines tends to transport over 1,700,000 flowers? JFK takes second is flower shipment volume. So we can thank American for making our Aviation Valentine’s Day even more flowery. And in case you’re really wondering how that sausage is made, check out this article by Marisa Garcia (@designerjet) on what it takes to get your Valentine’s Day flowers to you.
This Aviation Valentine’s Day is brought to you by tripchi. Try out the app today!