A couple weeks ago, I flew Delta for the first time in several years; not only was I pleasantly surprised by the flight experience end to end, but I also had an opportunity to preview their new in-flight Delta safety video. Take a look at the flight review here.
The Delta safety video was not only overtly hilarious, but also scandalously subtle. I found myself *literally* laughing out loud at many points in the Delta safety video. The passengers around me weren’t laughing, so I couldn’t tell if they either weren’t watching it, or just didn’t have a sense of humor.
I later found out that this wasn’t the *only* Delta safety video that Delta produced. In fact, there’s another version on the internet titled “The Internetest safety video on the Internet,” hinting at 22 internet-themed memes throughout the course of the video.
Have a look at the Delta safety video and decided for yourself:
Now that you’ve seen the Delta safety video, could you identify all the humorous elements?
Let me break it down for you (care of Delta’s Youtube video post).
- 0:03 Keyboard Cat. Still hilarious. Anything with a cat does well on the inter-webs.
- 0:18 Double Rainbow Guy. I actually never knew about this meme – I thought it was just someone at Delta going on an acid trip.
- 0:26 Annoying Orange. I also would feel demeaned if I was put under the seat in front of me (apologies to my cat).
- 0:30 Roomba Cat. Hopefully this means the floors of the Delta cabin will be clearner.
- 0:45 Rahat’s Prank. Fool me once (it did).
- 1:05 Evolution of Dance. Slow and low, that is the temp.
- 1:25 Slow Mo Guy. Gives new meaning to the phrase Jello Shot.
- 1:43 Harlem Shake. I would love to be given the order by Delta flight attendants or the pilot to Harlem shake it, shake it, shake it.
- 1:51 Deltalina. I didn’t get this one.
- 1:52 Screaming Goat. Just annoying.
- 2:02 Internet Browser. Can someone explain this one to me?
- 2:23 Peanut Butter Jelly Time. Remember those cheesy animated GIFs that were all over the internet in the 1990s? Yes!
- 2:31 Dramatic Chipmunk. Think groundhog day combined with “Airplane.”
- 2:48 Charlie Bit My Finger. Did you ever wonder what these boys look like today? I don’t – but in case you do, here you go.
- 3:23 Clicking Finger. LOL. I guess this guy doesn’t have opposable thumbs.
- 3:51 Overly Attached Girlfriend. They should have let this awkward go on longer a la Family Guy.
- 4:02 Ice Bucket Challenge. I’m so over this one already haha.
- 4:09 Dancing Baby. Never really was “in to” this one.
- 4:15 Hamsters Eating Burritos. Because, I mean, why not?
- 4:25 Nyan Cat. I had never seen this one before!
- 4:32 Doge. Awwww!
- 4:48 Mentos & Coke. Love it.
- 4:57 Roomba Cat remixed.
Then, for your continued Delta safety video viewing pleasure, Delta remixed several of these memes in to 30 second seconds
- Marnie http://youtu.be/I9jWM6Q5Cs4
- Epic Meal Time https://youtu.be/Oq3LkwiPJII
- “I Like Turtles” Kid http://youtu.be/bLcFhxdPcqQ
- World Record T-Shirt Guy http://youtu.be/BZBH1eYEl8E
- Lohanthony http://youtu.be/8jottcQ7SbA
- Dancing Hands https://youtu.be/VQSYB_tSi-U
- Will It Blend? http://youtu.be/hGOx2OmN7qY
- Massive Mix Up http://youtu.be/EK58ylsC44Y
What’s so great about the series of new Delta safety video is that they appeals not only to the new-to-flying passenger but also to the seasoned jetsetter, who is so jaded and immune to actually paying attention to in-flight safety videos, that only something catchy will grab his or her attention. The meme-filled Delta safety video does just that. It not only takes in-flight safety videos to another level, but also shows that Delta is one airline that doesn’t take itself too seriously, and that a little levity never hurt aviation. Bravo Delta.